memory notwithstanding

ANDRE SAID (amongst other brutally honest and fine sentiments):

There's a sticker on the circuit board of my unit indicating that it was
shipping in May of 1995.  This puts it outside of the 9-month "safety
zone" that Kim referred to when he made mention of how recent a unit would
likely have to be to be free of the overheating problem.  Now, I've
already upgraded two of my SIMMs to 4 meg.  What if I'd done a full
upgrade before the subject had happened to be mentioned on the list, as
has happened to other users?  (And while we're on the subject, *is* there
any overheating danger with two 4-meg SIMMS?!)

Dave @17 sez:

In my last post about this, I related the sad story of my FIRST plex, (off
the shelf, 12 seconds,) that exhibited the overheating problem pretty
horribly.

I then returned, got a second unit, which

started at 12 secs
went to 100 secs for 9 months
just went to 198 a few weeks ago

and has NEVER exhibited this problem (I FEAR GREATLY looking at said
sticker) I pray that mine is not subject to this, but if it DOES ever
happen...I have the ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC and MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated
DRAWING that MATTHIAS sent out.  When that arrived, out of the blue, I was
STUNNED and AMAZED.

Matthias my friend:  thank you!  If my unit ever overheats, I can get in
there now and clip the bad chip!!!

I may do it anyway if and when the MYSTERIOUS UPGRADE comes along.

What I'm getting at tis this tho: I don't think it has ANY relationship
with
the amount of MEMORY.  It's just that pin should never have been
connected...

All I really want it [the upgrade] for is to absolve those very very
occasional pops on reverse really..and: may I say, having 198 seconds
(finally) makes a great enormous difference.  I'm STILL trying to adjust to
the idea.  100 was one thing. But now...I can have THREE one minute loops!
I can MULTIPLY forever.  I can UNDO like mad....

It's all starting to sink in now....

dave at seventeen
173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168

*               *  *  *  *  *    It takes eleven minutes to fill,
*                  *     and six minutes to empty...
*                          *         (Mr. Blint, Consequences/Godley &
Creme)

visit: http:www.adnc.com/web/ambient/index.html
seventeen: the ambient music page

173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168