Re: Analog vs. Digital

Paul wrote:

>Digital is always a compromise sonically.

This is such a general statement, it is not useful or meaningful to me.  As
Dave Stagner discussed, there are many factors to consider in a digital
unit, including the sample rate and quality of the A/D conversion.  In
addition, I believe that one must consider the FUNCTION, when determining
whether analog or digital is preferable -- ie. what are you using it for?

Using the analog tape medium, you can't escape the following qualities:

-- compression, then saturation, at high input levels
-- degredation over time
-- tape hiss

As I stated in a previous message, there are times when I LIKE the
compression from analog tape, especially for sound sources with lots of
transients.  Also, I can see how degredation over time can be useful -- in
a loop, it creates a dynamic quality, rather than pure repetition.  Also,
tape hiss may or may not be a factor, depending on what you're doing.

So, I think its important to consider the BENEFITS and COSTS (I must sound
like an economist) of each medium, with regards to a particular FUNCTION,
when considering which medium is best.  Personally, I use both mediums for
different functions.

Chris Chovit
cho@gomez.jpl.nasa.gov