Re: Okay, let's get philosophical: Performance Theory time

At 10:14 PM 10/18/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>>Love your message Dave ... tell me more what the bassist is doing with
>the
>>>Jamman ... my bassist is hot on moving into the looping thing ...
>>>
>>>paul
>>
>>Well, I'm the bssist. I use the JAmman for mostly looping noise/textures,
>>which I can fade in and out with a volume pedal. It hasn't worked very
>well
>>for looping grooves or bass lines to solo over, because without really
>>great monitoring, virtually non-existant in the alt-rock clubs and
>>galleries we play, our drummer can't stay in sync with the loops. Also,
>the
>>jammAN seems to lose some of the low frequencies I feed it. But if your
>>bassist is into doing stuff beyond conventional bass playing, a looper is
>>great. It really fills up a trio texture.
>>
>>________________________________________________________
>thanks her will be glad to hear it

I guy I know that was working on various other gwiz related projects during
the echoplex development is an excellent jazz bassist. Fred Marshall's his
name. He borrowed (and kept, actually) one of the Paradis Loop Delays we
had
and used it to great effect in his bop/free jazz quartet. He had his
upright
bass miked, feeding the loopdelay, then going to his amp. During more
standard tunes, he would occaisionally lay down a chorus in the loop, which
the drummer would keep grooving to. Meanwhile, he would bow notes to add
harmonies in support of the soloist, or take solos over it himself. During
the more free/improv sections he would build up textures and such. I
thought
it all fit in very well, a good example of loops working in rather
traditional formats. hmm, now that I think about it I loaned him an
echoplex
prototype once for a weekend gig and never saw that one again either. He
made great music with it so I guess its better than it rusting away in some
gibson warehouse.

Anyway, awesome band too...some of the best, most invigorating jazz I've
ever seen. His son Joshie was playing sax; he's only in his early twenties
and just frighteningly good. that's another story though....

kim
Kim Flint                       408-752-9284
OEM Engineering                 kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research