Re: Okay, let's get philosophical: Performance Theory time

Andre:
>> As I'm two weeks away from my own solo looping performance, I'm
>> thinking about the sheer performance environment aspect, and how the
>> visual/mechanical aspects of looping can affect the audience's
>perception
>> of the music.  Anyone have any thoughts on any of the above?

Jon:
>I'm three weeks away from a series of live looping shows.  I've been
>seeking out performance opportunities that avoid a "staged" performance.
>I'm going to be playing in several office buildings, in atrium lobbies.
>I'll be set up off to the side, filling the space with sound, and not
>expecting to be a visual focal point for the audience (the audience will
>most likely be just passing through anyway).  I'm thinking it will be
>somewhere between performance and installation.  In regards to the
>audience's perception, we'll have to wait and see.

I played on the galary of Salvador intercity bus station. Amazing clima.
Most people did not even notice I was there, just closed the eyes, waiting.
Others stopped and even missed the bus and even said it was worth it (there
is no refund of the fair here!).

I played about 5 hours in total, about a year ago, and still keep meeting
people saying: "oh you are the one that made this sound in the Rodoviaria!"

I tried several times in bars and restaurants and wont do it again.
Recently it worked though with a "art dinner": There was a lecture about
"holistic comunication", then I gave some light introduction and then
eveybody enjoyed an incredible chinese veg buffet. Then everybody made
himself comftable and we switched off the light and I started real sound
and "the saints came down" (common expression here, due to the popular
african rituals).

Another old idea is to create a healthy clima in Hospitals...

Matthias