to mix...or not to mix

this excerpt fascinated me:

>I am using the old Alesis 1622 mixer with my setup and I don't know what
would do without it.  The mixer becomes the heart of all signal routing
>and
frankly in an instrument all by itself.  Sonic development requires it >for
me.  I need the kind of routing it has to be able to use some of an >effect
and be able to switch on the fly to something else ... especially >when
playing live.

>Paul

my approach is completely the opposite.  i've spent the last couple years
trying to get my system to do what i need WITHOUT buying a mixer.  so far
I've been quite successful.

i have an A-B-C switch for my three input devices (either electric guitar,
acoustic guitar and keyboard or substitute DISCMAN for any of the above) so
that takes care of that.

for output, i'm using a stereo pan pedal and have created two separate
paths:

one featuring the Oberheim and the stereo of the Digitech TSR-24S
and the other featuring the old RDS-8000 8 second delay.

both are fed by the preamp and the Roland GP-16, so I can establish a long
loop with full stereo reverb on one side, and then pan over and "solo" on
the other side or create 8 second loops etc.

i can work ON THE FLY no problem.  in fact, my setup is specifically meant
for live performance.

want stereo reverb?  PATH A.

want no reverb, just manic distort-o solo guitar?  PATH B.

BOTH paths have preamp (clean, dirty 1, dirty2) and fuzz stomp box, cheap
wah, and all the glorious primitive sounds of the Roland GP-16 available.
in almost any imaginable configuration...live in real time.

to me, a mixer adds coloration, additional EQ, and most of all MORE CABLES,
MORE CONNECTIONS, MORE NOISE.

not that i have anything against MIXERS.  my partner, Bryan Helm, is very
attached to his (ultracool) MACKIE.  for him, it's essential.  my
preferences are based on shortest signal path: fewest cables: direct
pathing.

just goes to show that there are SO many different ways to go about this...

now if I had a PA system, and was running microphones and playing CDs thru
the PA.....a mixer would be great.  but for guitar only...I can do just
about anything imaginable (so far) without one.

any thoughts?  am I completely in "daisy-chain" anal retentive mode here?
short and sweet i am thinking.  enough cables as it IS...

as ever,  dave at seventeen

173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168

*               *  *  *  *  *    I'll be downstairs if you need me.  I'll
still be
*                  *     downstairs if you DON'T need me.
*                          *         (Mr. Blint, Consequences/Godley &
Creme)

visit: http:www.adnc.com/web/ambient/index.html
seventeen: the ambient music page

173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168