Re: Here we go again

>>I also noticed a few days ago that a loop which was running decayed to
>>almost total silence over the course of some fifteen to twenty minutes,
>>but the feedback control was definitely all the way to the right.  I've
>>read that when more and more overdubs are put into the loops that the
>>feedback is automatically scaled back to aout 95%; is that what I'm
>>looking at now?

If Overdub is on, then you look at the 95% thing. If not, oh dear, I do not
remember the bugs I fixed.

>This is a problem that was definitely there on prototypes, and at some
>point it was fixed. I have to get Matthias' help here, because some of it
>was a software problem, and I'm not sure when it got fixed. I know that
>with the mythical upgrade, this doesn't happen. Thing is, it doesn't
>necessarily happen with the shipping software either. Matthias, do you
>know
>if this was fixed in the shipping soft?

I looked through the docs and could not find such bug mentioned. I found
that in this first version, through MIDI you did not reach full FeedBack.
Do you use MIDI, Andre?

>My uncertainty is because I think there were several different problems
>which caused this. One of them may have been the thermal/cut-the-ic-pin
>problem. That particular chip handles both the front panel switches and
>the
>feedback knob, so I think that the same sort of conditions that cause the
>Undo button to freak out also might cause loop degrading. I never had a
>chance to verify that, so I don't know, but cutting that pin certainly
>won't hurt and might fix this for you.

Well, we recently noted that the CODEC slowly runs away and we need to
recalibrate it. The most simple way to do it is a powercycle when the
machine is hot. The new soft will contain a recalibration in Reset.
But as far as I understood, in the shiping soft, this "run away" did not
cause the 95% thing as it does now, because of a change in that system

Are you really confused now?
One thing: We will need very much the support of the users to find bugs in
future new releases. But this one you have is two years old and we had more
than 10 new internal versions and a lot changed a lot. So error reports do
not lead anywhere, unfortunately.

>The other bit of uncertainty is that there actually was a software upgrade
>very early in the echoplex production. You can see the software version
>when you turn the power on, the current software will show LD3 3.2. The
>first 60-100 units had an earlier version, LD3 3.0.  Unfortunately, I
>don't
>remember what was fixed in this upgrade. Could have been the loop
>degradation, but I don't know. What software version do you have Andre?

I do not remember that upgrade and its not in my documentation.

Sorry
Matthias