Re: MIDI Loops

> >About how looping synth via midi, Matthias asked how to do it?
> >Quite simple. My cubase has midi delay in it. I set the thing on the
> >duration I want. You can easily synced it to tempo, since it is a midi
> >delay.
>
> Oh I see, it like a digital effect for MIDI, not the sequencer itself
>you use.
> But can you control its parameters while playing so as to "freeze" a loop
> for soloing or have it fade out to renew it etc?
> Is there any option to multiply the delay time while playing?
>
> Still curious
> Matthias

I used an Opcode Max patch that had eight delay lines, each of which
pitch-shifted to a different interval and each of which had it's own
"seed" number to multiply with the input MIDI velocity value to produce
a delay time.  In addition, my patch would, at random, record a phrase
and play it back. I could have easily set it up to loop the recorded
phrase indefinitely.  I used my GR700 MIDI guitar setup for input.

I really enjoyed the flexibility of Max combined with the portability of
my Powerbook.  About the only drawback was that the resultant sounds
lacked the complexity of "real" strings.

I had to stop when my GR700 broke down, but if I had been able to continue
I would have liked to explore a different direction than looping devices
such as the Echoplex, JamDude, etc. Opcode Max and MIDI, as wonderful as
they are, cannot really compete in the same arena since they don't deal
with real acoustic sound sources; to try to imitate something like an
Echoplex seems pointless.  Instead, I would have liked to try things that
can't be done with an acoustically-based looper, like the things described
in the book _Interactive Music_.

Paolo Valladolid