More on Indonesian music

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Matthias Grob wrote:

> For me even more impressive was a theatre with about 30 male singers
>around
> the "stage", creating the coments to the piece (I did not understand
> anything of) using also impressive mouth and body rythms, noises and
> screams. Although sitting, they had a choregraphy, moving toards or away
> from the actors, shaking heads, showing fear, support and so on. Hard to
> imagine, huh?

I think I saw this sort of thing staged here at CalArts a couple of years
ago -- it's called Monkey Chant.  If done as it's supposed to be done,
it's apparently very impressive.  Unfortunately I only saw the version
that was staged by students here at school, many of whom had little if
any tangible affinity for music.  But still very interesting.

--Andre