Samplers, drummers...

I think there is sampler that can detune, pitch shift without changing the
sample length.
Akai choosed the "lets behave like a tape" method. Roland (at least a few
years ago, I don't know for their last products) choosed another way. wich
was called "differential interpolation" (not exactly sure of the
translation) were the machine performed calculation to "fill in the
blancks" in a sound when played higher (means faster usually) and the
exact opposite to prevent your 5 sec sample to turn to a 40 sec sample 3
oct lower.

I was very impressed with the intelligence of the post of Mr. Cook and the
fact that drummers are not supposed to keep time. I made a strong point
in my opinion....
Then it took me into rethinking some of my drums arrangements (since I
have unfortunately no drummer with me, I have  to use synths and boxes to
try to emulate a real drummer, whan I want one.

Olivier Malhomme