LOo-oOP Dee-Lite

Hi Folks,
Just added myself and the Canterbury Musicians (well some of them) to the
looperlist....

< http://www.musart.co.uk/ > MUSART

Hugh Hopper and the rest of the SOFT MACHINE of the time have just released
a previously unavailable recording 'Spaced' from 1968, featuring a tape
looping extravaganza: Recorded at a primeval 'multi-media' event live at
the
Roundhouse in London.

< http://www.musart.co.uk/tree.htm >

We are-in the Canterbury Music scene; all loopers of old
(except myself ; Mark Hewins; I'm jung).

Daevid Allen(Gong) was at it in 1962 with Robert Wyatt (Soft Machine) and
all those looping dudes of old!
A seamless 35 year history! Dating from almost before I was born!

Some of the Musicians in the Canterbury scene have been using tape loops;
and other esoteric bits of gear to make new sounds; since at least the mid
60's and early '70's are:

Hugh Hopper, Mike Ratledge, Robert Wyatt, Dave Stewart, Pip Pyle,
Dave Sinclair, Kevin Ayers, Lol Coxhill, Phil Miller, Steve Hillage,
Richard
Sinclair,

< http://www.musart.co.uk/muso1.htm >

The list carries on and I'm lucky; the heritage trickles down to me....
I now have an old Revox B77 MkII that I use for tape echo and looping
only...
(Back to the dark ages? I think not)

Soft Machine are the ones who supported Pink Floyd when Floyd were still
playing 'pop' tunes.... Funny that!... Then as a band they discovered
accessable popalooping for making money!

The Canterbury boys, from the 'Wilde Flowers' onwards, actually made what
was a shift from 'solo' Looping/Improvisation into a group form, dependant
on their own Inter/Improvisational skills (considerable).

With AMM, And especially Keith Rowe (whom it is also my luck to know well)
you had the 'first' ^_^ electric 'Improvised Music' band, but with Soft
Machine the Music became known artistically to a world audience. For Pink
Floyd it became a financial carreer possibility. All of us working in this
area should acknowledge the contribution these gifted experimenters gave
us.
BTW
They all worked with each other at some point too....
A fine example!

P&L>M
   MARK HEWINS
     < http://www.musart.co.uk/hewins.htm >
        (try the new CHORD PICKER)
                         < http://www.musart.co.uk/chords.htm >

      OR
MUSART - THE CANTERBURY SCENE MUSICIANS
                 http://www.musart.co.uk/
        300+webpages - over 10,000 hits a week
               Subscribe to "What's Rattlin'" the weekly
  CANTERBURY MUSIC ON-LINE NEWSLETTER
    bigbang@mail.alpes-net.fr (with the message-subscribe)
              THE EMBRYONIC, 'SOUND SERVER'
         <  http://www.musart.co.uk/fram/samfram.htm >