Re: Ravel as a looper

> Enough ramblings....I will give it some more thought and try again.

Hayden...nice summation.  I think it's important to look at how styles are
rooted in the past, for perspective and inspiration.  I like to think free
improvisation is at the heart of much musical evolution.  Lack of
documentation
masks the value of such ancient (and modern) musical experimentation, the
joy of
stirring experience with creativity, seeing the value of "accidents" in
the
developmental process...always looking for evocative techniques, tools and
ways
of combining/extrapolating sounds and textures.

I never tire of reconfiguring my set-up, trying new approaches.  I'm
constantly
finding different ways to think and feel; to be, on occassion, more
efficient
and, on another, more measured and deliberate.  No matter how much I
explore the
cave system, there's always another hidden room...another vein.

> I would like to hear how other loopers create a sense of form, growth and
> change in their music by using repetition.
......In GOUGE, 2 of us have boomerangs and 2 have jamulators.  The
drummer is
constantly feeding a drum machine with his Roland Spud.  We use no midi on
the
loopers and, therefore, have the potential of 5 independent multi-layered
loops
going at any one time, plus whatever live stuff may be happenin.  By being
aware
of musical roles that organically emerge, it's great to hear the parallel
layers
of different loops speaking to each other through common language and
emotional
content.  Lines, counterlines, insects, ascending phrases, distortion,
note
matching, a myriad of relationships....an aside, it is so cool and
enlightening
to be able to establish a loop and walk over to the guitarist or whoever
check out their perspective.  Often, at some point in the session, we may
all be
walking around the space, bumping into each other or into the audience or
to the
john or whatever...yet we're still THERE performing.  What a trip.

> -Do you plan your music in advance or is it always spontaineous?
.......as you know by now, I love free improv, everything else seems stale
by
comparison.  Thank God someone's still singing Gesualdo Motets.  I'm happy
listen and be inspired by their work.  Ideally, I want to be right where
the
brain sparks come from, allowing the music to flow directly from
performers,
audience, the effects of that evening's sushi buffet...as strained through
the
bowels of considerable practice and professionalism.

> -What do you consider to be the your most effective compositional
> technique(s) when creating live looped music that relies on technology to
> produce the loops?
.........Growing up as an acoustic performer, I want the technology to be
as
immediate and responsive as possible.  That's why I like the rang.  It was
made
by musicians for live music making.  (understand:  this has nothing to do
with
other looper developers...whew...glad I thought to say that)   Anyway, for
me,
compositional techniques are derived from musical motivation.  Funky
grooves,
chantlike pedals, soaring harmonies, short delays to accent solo lines,
slowly
evolving textures that spin off a myriad of fascinating colors.  First the
inspiration, then the techniques to satisfy the needs.  The allure of
loopers is
their flexibility to enhance a thousand different musical situations and
the
challenge of mastering their capabilities to let performers reach more of
their
own potential.

In other words, yadayadayada...