Message not deliverable

Sender: lists@slip.net
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 18:12:42 -0700
To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
From: mgsam@wave.net
Subject: Re: Dork has more to say

You wrote:

>Do yourself a favor, and forget new tubes.  Most modern Chinese and
>Russian tubes are *junk*.  I just replaced a blown vintage Mullard
>EL34 in my stereo with a Groove Tubes EL34.  The difference in
>manufacturing quality and sonics shocked me.  The GT (a Chinese EL34)
>glows cherry red at the limits of its capabilities in this amp, while
>the 35 year old Mullards show no color at all, except for a tiny bit
>of gas in one.
>
>So, retube with good quality NOS (new old stock) vintage tubes.  Try
>Steve at Angela Instruments (www.angela.com), an excellent
>straightforward guy.  His web site has prices and descriptions for a
>wide variety of NOS tubes.

The new Svetlana EL-34s are excellent.  Much better then the old Sovtek's
or anything Chinese, and I like them better then the East German tubes I've
jused.  In fact, they are in the same sonic ballpark as my old Mullards.
Longevity remains a question since I've only been using them a couple of
months, but so far so good.

Best,
Kevin