Re: The LoOpDoctOrs scream HELP!!!

should work, somethin's busted!

you might want to try:

- make sure the simms are all the way in the sockets. sounds obvious but
I've been there many times.

- be careful installing/removing them. If you are using a significant
amount
of force, you stand a good chance of breaking something. you might want to
put your old memory back in to make sure that the sockets are ok.

- remove them and check the sockets to make sure all the contacts are
healthy looking and that there is no debris or cooties in there. check the
simm contacts as well.

- Install one pair at a time and see if maybe you have a bad simm.

- make sure they all really are 4 meg simms. If you tell me the part #'s on
the chips and the number of chips/simm I could tell you.

- return them for a different set or get plex repaired as necessary.

- holding the parameter button at powerup probably won't help you here.
That
just resets the parameters stored in non-volatile memory. simm size is not
related.

- the mfg date of your echoplex has nothing to do with it.

good luck.....

kim

At 07:48 PM 6/18/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Kim:
>
>We just tried to install the full 4 by 4 of SIMS into our Echoplex.
>AGGHGGGHGGHGG!
>
>The machine just went bonkers, blinking indecipherable code on the display
>and then shutting down.
>
>We have tried doing the hold down "parameter" button and turn on power
>reboot...but it isn't working.  More gobledygook code.
>
>We bought 30 pin, 70 ns simms, but it doesn't seem to be working.  We have
>one of the oldie Echoplexes with a sticker inside that says Dec. 1994.
>You
>have any ideas what we should try next?  We have installed simms many
>times
>and are completely hip to anti static warnings.
>
>Best,
>The LoOpDoctOrs

Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com