Re: Recommended Recordings

I may have mentioned a couple of these the last time this thread came
around... Anyway, I tend to lean towards the deep, dark, textural,
groove-based stuff:

-- DJ Krush's "Strictly Turntablized" is a must for tweaked-out abstract
instrumental hiphop.  Sort of East Coast style meets Japan meets Pluto.

-- "Zander" is the latest release from Scorn, and features some deep
messed-up beats with minimal loop-type sounds fading in and out of the mix.

-- Meat Beat Manifesto's latest "Subliminal Sandwich" is INSANELY good.
Much more experimental and abstract than previous MBM albums, lots of
swirling sonic soup with almost-identifiable ingredients (but not quite)
accompanied by neat beats.

-- Paul D. Miller's (aka DJ Spooky) "Death in the Light of the Phonograph"
is the "soundtrack" from an art exhibition he did.  Not many beats on this
one, but the looping textures are amazing.  Pretty much every sound
originates on vinyl, then gets all messed up by Mr. Miller.

-- Paul D. Miller's "Viral Sonata" also contains a mind-boggling collection
of sonic collages.  It lists among its elements "audio translation of human
DNA", "20 layers of television static", and "backwards jajouka"...

James