Re: gear schmear, music is best

Dave wrote:
> There's a good ethnomusicological study on theis music, called "Soul of
>the
> M'bira", sorry, but I can't remember the author right now, that goes
>deeply
> into the music and it's cultural/spiritual meanings. Very interesting
> stuff!

The book "The Soul of Mbira" was researched and written by Paul
Berliner, and was published by the university of Chicago Press, 1993.
There is also a sort of accompanying CD, titled "Zimbabwe: The Soul of
Mbira" on Nonesuch,1995 (originally released in 1973: Nonesuch H-72054).
Excellent reading and listening!

Dave, thanks for posting on your marimba experiences. I heard (and
danced to!) Dumi and Balafon many times when I lived in Portland, OR.
But, I'm sorry I never got to hear Balafon when you were a member of the
band.

I have made several mbiras over the years, amplifying some with piezo
pickups. My favorite Mbira lately has been one I made with bamboo keys.
The bamboo was a suggestion from Matthias. (thanks again Matthias!) I'm
currently working on a tandem model for two facing players.

Dave, have you made any acid/ambient/trip/hip/hop/jazz recordings with
your marimba and mbira, and your Zimbabwean sensibilities? A synthesis
of that sort would surely sound great to my ears.

Jim, thanks for asking about mbira. Anyone else use 'em? make 'em? Any
recipes out there?

Preston