Leo's Looping Question -- a long, hopefull clear answer

        Leo writes....

        Does the Jammark allow you to start with loop 1, add a
        layer
        >as loop 2, add another layer as loop 3, erase loop 1, add a new
loop 1,
        >erase loop2, etc., all without interruption? For me continuity
should be
        >essential... The little I tried was to change loop number
STOPPING the
        last
        >loop and adding a new one. THEN you could shift from a recorded
loop to
        >another. This seemed a big limitation for me...I'd like to add
a new
        loop
        >while listening the other ones.

        Now I'd like to know for sure if the Echoplex can do all this.
To have
        different loops going on simultaneously AND the possibility to
switch to one
        from another and to modify each one or erasing one and letting
the others
        going on. I'm looking for this kind of features...

        And what about the Echoplex pedalboard??

OK

I have an echoplex

Depending on how much memory you have installed you can have upto 198
seconds of time to loop.

Regardless of how much memory time you have, you can subdivide your
total time (lets say 90 seconds..) into UPTO nine equal-sized portions
(in our example, 10 seconds each).  Or 2 equal memory portions of 45
seconds eqach or 3 portions of 30 seconds etc...

So, you thereby have upto 9 different locations for loops to go in.  So
you can have upto 9 different loops available to play -- individually --
not simultaneously.

For example:

You can place and develop material in loop 1
then copy it to loop 2
then add different material ontop of it in loop 2
then copy all that to loop 3
then add more different materil to that in loop 3
then go back to loop 1
then go to loop 3
then copy loop 3 into loop 4
then go to loop 2
then go to loop 4 and add new material
then start a brand new loop in loop 5
then go back to loop 2
then go back to loop 5

etc..

However you cannot play all nine loops at the same time.

You can copy contents and move from memory location to location.

Remember, you can add more and more material to each loop -- its not
like a loop is a static phrase.  W/ the echoplex you can add to a loop,
reverse it, add some stuff while it's playing backwards, then reverse it
again and add stuff.

However you cannot play all nine loops at the same time.

No device I'm aware of allows you to do exactly what you have described.
The way to acheive THAT is to buy TWO or more looping devices.

Infact, I doubt it would be easy to do in practice, technology aside.
Imagine you could listen to many loops at once. After just a few minutes
with a few loops, do you think you'll remember where each piece you
added is stored so as to know where to subtract it from?

I think that's what Fripp's got in his towering rack.  Two of
everything.  Technically I think he can create up to two simultaneously
playing loops.  Each loop in stereo.  Hence is Quad-like set-up.

I hope that answer the question.

David Kirkdorffer

P.S.  If you're midi challenged, I strongly urge you get the Echoplex
Foot Pedal Controler.  It keeps your hands on your intrument and
provides alot of functionality at your, er,  toes.