Fripp on G3

Someone was asking if anyone had seen Fripp on the G3 tour.  I haven't,
but here are two accounts of those who did  (I've deleted various
non-Fripp info from the original posts):

From: Mike Stack <MTS95004@UConnVM.UConn.Edu>
Subject:      G3 Review, mostly...

Hi there.

Last night was the G3 show in Hartford, so myself and two of my friends
headed over to check out RF, basically.  Showed up around 6pm or so, were
checking out the merchandise when we heard RF starting up.  Headed in,
checked out the show.  He played from 6-7:20 or so, sat off to my left (we
were pretty much dead center).  Lots of interesting stuff, seemed to be a
lot more chordal strumming than on the albums he's put out.  At one point
towards the end of RF's set, some idiot started screaming and yelling and
banging the chair in front of him.  Fripp got louder.  Idiot got louder.
Fripp got louder.  Fripp also looked somewhat annoyed at this point.

A few interesting notes about RF's performance

-most the crowd didn't give a damn, including some guy dressed all snazzily
in his business suit, who didn't shut up the whole night.

-RF occasionally got up, took off his guitar, and walked further to my
left to talk to someone else.  Don't know who.

-RF wore a white shirt untucked and black pants, while switching to a
black shirt during the encore (more later...).

-No one smoked anything illegal during Fripp's set, something that couldn't
be said for the rest.

Encore.  Satch announces KWS, RF, and Vai.  Opener was a tune called "I'm
Going Down".  Somewhere in the solo breaks, RF got the nod from Satch.
Could barely hear his solo.  Nothing special.  Followed by Zappa's "My
Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama".  Didn't like the vocals, or the soloing.
Fripp was not given one.  Followed by the Kinks' "You Really Got Me".  More
really bad vocals, sounded like KWS, Vai and Satch never heard the Kinks
verson of the tune either.  More true to Van Halen.  Fripp was heard once
in this one.  The second time the riff came, I heard him screaming, then he
was shut down.  Last song was a blues tune which for some reason said
Stevie Ray Vaughan to me, though I couldn't place it.  Ego war between Vai
and KWS.  Fripp took an organ solo practically (sounded like an organ at
least, think he's been hanging out with Adrian too much...:).  Vai and KWS
got progressively louder during the song.

All in all, fairly disappointing encore as such things go.

(and another account)

ate: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 21:44:10 -0400 (EDT)