Re: Whaddya call it? and Attention

Warren:

>Anyway, "I Woke Up" twisted some heads around - lots of people with jaws
>dropped down to the ground. Many comments were like: "It was incredible,
>but I wouldn't call it music." People had a hard time calling it music.
>Maybe it isn't music.
>In this theater performance, I asked to be billed as a "Sound Sculptor".
>I also considered going for "Performance Artist".

Works for Laurie Anderson.  Has she ever been categorised some other way?

>Chris Chovit <cho@newdream.net> said:
>
>> But what audiences are available for us loopers?
>> Well, that is the question we have to answer, and in part, I think we
>> have
>> to CREATE our own situations and audiences.
>
>Agreed. We also need to *write pieces*. Improvisation is great and
>wonderful, but people invariably respond to the more dramatic pacing and

Absolutely.  There's also a great deal of satisfaction from writing a
peice.  It seems to me that improvisation is often an excuse for not
learning material!  :)
The argument I've heard is that only through improv can we see the soul of
the performer, but in speech we can often put our most profound thoughts
across when given time to reflect and put them down  on paper, rather than
standing up and just talking.  I'l also bet the most moving poetry is not,
by-and-large, written off the cuff (please, no-one mention James Joyce).

Dr Michael Pycraft Hughes  *A.C. Electrokinetics - - Viral Manipulation
Tel: (+44) 141 330 5979    *Bioelectronic Research Centre, Rankine Bldg,
Fax: (+44) 141 330 4907    *University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, U.K.