RE: Midi standards

Just a few comments on Kim's "Program Change" discussion.

While I can appreciate Kim's emotion over our apparent misuse of the MIDI

Program
Change message, I'm still not convinced that it was an entirely bad
decision. Our
decision to use Program Change messages for operational commands was made

entirely for the benefit of our customers. At the time JamMan was
released there
were precious few MIDI foot controllers available and it seemed like the
ones that
were reasonably priced only transmitted program change messages. Our
intent
was to provide extended control of the JamMan for people on a tight
budget and
I think we did that.

Another advantage to Program Change messages over Continuous Controllers
is
set up. Most foot controllers generate Program Change messages without
any
special configuration by the operator. Generating Continuous Controllers
generally
requires going into an edit mode and tweeking. My experience has been
that
most musicians don't want to have to tweek at all (many don't even like
MIDI
much less care about what messages are being sent). They want to plug it
in
and have it work. Done.

If we have insulted the MMA by misusing the Program Change message, on
behalf of Lexicon, I apologize.  Our intent was to encourage the use of
MIDI
not to scare people away from it. MIDI has been getting a bad rap lately
and
if using Program Changes to execute functions instead of changing
programs
makes it less painful for people to use it, then I have no problem with
it.
We did not fundamentally change the MIDI spec we just gave people an easy
way to use it.

Bob Sellon
Lexicon/Stec