Re: LOOPING PHILOSOPHY (condensed)

> So... is there a difference in (guitaring v. djing) because
> one is more difficult. Certainly. If you master a more powerful,
> expressive medium you can create more emotional, evocative music.
> ...the DJ chooses a piece of music (sound), *that
> someone else created*, to add to his mix. The guitarist makes the same
> choice but uses his own pallet, his own voice.
.......(Hiya, Slashboy)...'scuse me...Uh, I agree that whatever takes the
most "discipline and dedication" is going to give rise to more depth and
expressiveness.  However, I have to agree that there's no significant
difference between the media, whether it be instrumental goddom or
technical technique with pre-recorded stuff...so that if our hypothetical
DJ with the aforementioned "d and d" for, say, the same 20 years some
like-talented picker is slaving over a hot amp, the expressive result
should be roughly the same.  They are both masters of their craft.  They
are simply using different tools to let it out.  To say they're
fundamentally different is to say one instrument is inherently more
capable of deeper expression...which brings us to...

> Why are there more sax, guitar, trumpet or violin solos than other
> instruments?
.............the actual reason there are more of these solos is far more
historical than according to any sort of "natural selection".  Alot of
it, I suppose, originally had to do with the acoustics of unamplified
concerts/rituals/ceremonies.  These traditional soprano and tenor
instruments have long been used by composers in church and concert
settings for their ability to sing over the texture, therefore attracting
the efforts of those with enough talent and ego to handle the solo
demands.  Obviously, guitar is very new to the list, only since the
advent of amplification has it REALLY stepped forward as a powerful solo
instrument.  Before that, it was used more as rhythmic accompaniment for
solo voice.

Now that technology has allowed other instruments to carry the larger
expressive role, there is (and will be) more variety in timbre and
texture.

Oh, sure, there will always more "popular" instruments and, not to
completely contradict your earlier premise, but it's the very ease of
getting started with such instruments as the guitar and tenor sax (with
the abundance of remarkable practitioners to be inspired by) that leads
so many future talents down the same road.  I could make the case, given
the relative newness of the dj craft and the lack of traditions to fall
into (without decades to hundreds of years of examples to draw on), that
it's MORE difficult to DJ than it is to squeeze out fancy butt guitar.

You may be surprised by what some of these guys are capable of in the
not too distant future.  There're already very hot examples if you're
interested in seeking them out.  Take a peek at Kitchens of Distinction
and their use of hip-hop sampling techniques.

If an artist chooses a sampler over the guitar or trombone, is he/she
defacto any LESS capable or inspired?

(personal note...thanks for babysitting my gear, boy...when's the next
R+R gig we can settle up on?)