Re: music; and Looping near London (back around again)

     A brief announcement of my appearance at The Clock Tower Balcony Bar
     Croydon, UK 19-ix-97. 7-8pm support slot, playing prior to the main
     performance by Robin Williamson (ex ISB) in the Braithwaite Hall.

     Why Loop? I think its the immediacy of the results. Not waiting ages
     til the next group practice to find the `masterpiece' isn't that
after
     all (not usually a surprise that, of course...). The whole `painting
     with sound' thing. As someone else noted, the fact that overall you
     never repeat yourself (even though each loop IS doing just that, I
     suppose) - though I may try to use the same components/compositional
     fragments/what have you, every loop is unlike the others.

     Who to hear? David Toop has a new album out, so new I forget the
     title, but which is ambient in an almost physical soundscape way as
     described in the Oceans of Sound book (blimey, that makes no sense at
     all). I cant/wont explain/describe it - but do try to get a listen of
     it.

     Photek I just bought today, and have high hopes for from the previous
     works of his I've heard. Roni Size and `New Forms' (I think) also has
     some moments (well on 2 CD's lasting a hour each, it should). I think
     Ben Neill has been mentioned before. This is one of my favourites
from
     this area from the last little while. I think its because the trumpet
     adds a `human' element, and I think its the inclusion of `real time'
     instruments in the Toop album(s) (or at least the semblance of them)
     which appeals above the primarily sample-based D'n'B guys (though
this
     is an somewhat fine distinction, I know)

     Enough

     David
     <http://subnet.virtual-pc.com/~or38751>
     NB: 2 new .WAV loops added this week