Re: Drifting/Pitch changes

No, you wouldn't be able to pull the clock anywhere near far enough for
pitch changes, using this technique. The BrotherSync is for making finite
and precise adjustments in the system and sampling clocks between different
units to make them exactly in phase at the exact same frequency. Matthias'
suggestion is a way to abuse that in order to intentionally introduce
small,
controlled differences in the clocks. That way two loops could drift from
each other over time, which can sometimes be very cool.

kim

At 10:03 AM 9/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Using this technique would it be possible to have much wider changes in
>the
>clock frequency? The only function the Echoplex is missing is variable
>speed/pitch (or even just a half speed octave down switch). Of course,
>this
>is probably the last thing you want to think about having just finished
>the
>updateÉ
>
>Best-
>
>Mark
>

>>>One particular slightly aged stadium rock star wanted to know if we
>could
>>>set up a pedal to control the amount that stereo unsynced loops went
>out of
>>>phase! Do you see why this is so hard?
>>>
>>>Anyway, you can probably retain your clock drifting experiences on the
>>>upgrade by leaving the brothersync cable out and setting the sync to
>"off"
>>>like you have it now. That way, the stereo units will start and stop the
>>>loop record at the same time by the midi command, but will have no other
>>>points of reference to each other. So they will naturally drift apart.
>>>
>>>...and no I'm not going to make a pedal to control it.
>>
>>I am not going to do it either, but it would not be too complicated:
>>Build a 44.1kHz generator (with 74HC03, for example) and change its
>>frequency slightly with the pedal (the pot in series with the feedback
>>resistor of the generator). Then feed the signal with a open collector
>>buffer (another part of the HC03) into the tip of BrotherSync.
>>Can easily be battery driven and probably could even be fed by the signal
>>coming out of the BrotherSync tip. About a 1k resistor and a big
>capacitor
>>should create The necesary 4V or so for the chip.
>>Anyone?
>>
>>Matthias

Kim Flint                       408-752-9284
Mpact Systems Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research              http://www.chromatic.com