Frisell live

Hi

Yesterday I've seen Bill Frisell live for the second time this year. Not
with his new quartet (the first time) but in duo with Joey Baron.
As I hoped for this kind of line up, there was a big amount of looping in
the show. Frisell uses the same device  with two pedals and some knob on it
(rds 8000 i think). He mounts it over a little reverb/delay half rack and
that was all.

Some interesting notes I didn't notice the first time (when looping was
quite minimal):

- Frisell develops and builds his loops in silence. He plays some notes in
the air to begin, then you can see him picking and strumming but no sound
comes out from the amps. Baron often starts to play and still there's no
loop playing. Suddenldly Frisell gives the loop volume and you hear this
REALLY ODD phrases and sounds coming out. He uses pitch and speed knob a
lot
to alter the sound of his loops.

- There was no sync between the loops and Baron drumming. It was something
wanted and the effect was really interesting. Also when the loop were
extremely rhythmic. Not only layers and sounds with no rythmic reference
but
arpeggios and bass notes too, crossing the bars without any sync to the
beats of the songs.

- For this kind of lineup Frisell uses the loops to have a bigger sound and
to set the mood of the piece . Quite often without any harmonic (or
rhytmic,
as above) relationship with his improvisation lines played over the loop.

Great show (not only for the looping side...)

ciao
leo