Re: hail Laswell

At 04:04 PM 11/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi everybody!  I really enjoy this newsgroup; interestingly enough, I do
>not have any of this equipement but I work on a Mac running Deck II (I
>know, I know).  I'm thinking of switching over soon and so here I am
>listening to some experts in the "components" side of sampling.
>
>I love all the great listening suggestions from you guys!
>My top 10 listens right now:

SNIP

>10. Material - Hallucination Engine.  What do you guys think of this?  I
>love it!  Bill Laswell, Bernie Worrell.... tell me what you think.

Yes, Laswell is the Creator (other than some of that weeenie shit with that
Japanese synth guy)

Also FYLP
the Golden Palaminoes
the Ginger Baker "Middle Passages"
and my fave "Nicky Skoplelitis "Ekstasis" a Mid-East tinged (oops, hope the
NSA dosen't flag me for that) psychoswirl of world FUNK

even if Laswell never played an instrument in his life, his Axiom label has
recorded and produced some of the finest world artists alive . . . check:

Mandinka and Fulani Music of Gambia
Foday Musa Suso (on CMP) "The Dreamtime" (kora master)
Gnawamusic of Marrakesh "Night Spirit Masters"

and thes just scratch the surface--check the Axiom'Meta web-site

The man should be canonized.

Tom

This top 10 stuff is serious sh#t--let me mull it over.
Tom Lambrecht  hideo@concentric.net