Re: Fripp, making friends in the audience again????

I saw Fripp last night in Philly ... he never broke a sweat, presented
himself as some judgemental overlord, and completed the evening by having a
mutual masturbatory session with some members of the audience over the
idiosyncracies of "Crim" factoids.  His playing was mediocre and it was
more commercial than most anything I've heard in the genre ... commercial
in that he was selling TC Electronic, Eventide, and Roland products through
a constant manipulation of them.  He announced at the beginning that he
didn't see the music as "precious" and that people should feel free to do
what they want ... mill around and talk.  It was probably the most precious
event I can recall being.  His use of loops and high-end gear is notable,
however there is nothing more flat than an artist who demands an audience
find something to appreciate in the repeated use of the same motifs, sounds
and movement over a protracted period of time and then tell you he is not
being precious.

It was all art as commerce without substance.  To end the evening, he let
everyone know that, "though he would not sully his hands in commerce", he
did have Fedx'd in a large supply of CDs that he was selling ... but that
his assistant would be doing that.

He was an asshole.

>ok, i'll weigh in on the frippbash.... though as many do, i love the man
>and his music. he's one of my biggest influences and has written some of
>the sickest stuff - 70s, 80s, 90s!!!!
>
>but - i like to kick my heroes... this story tho, is about a good
>friend....
>
>back during the League of Gentlemen tour, Fripp had the concept that it
>was
>a "dance" band of sorts, so thet booked into places that were dance halls,
>open seatless spaces, etc. He wanted you to DANCE, dammit.
>
>So my friend , who is an amazing guitarist and fripp-head, got right to up
>the the front of the stage, basically front row, and hung out near fripp
>enjoy his playing, technique, music.
>
>But he wasn't dancing.
>
>After several songs, (and i paraphrase) Fripp leaned forward and hissed
>"why aren't you dancing !? You're being a vampire !!!" This is for
>dancing,
>stop sucking up my energy !!!"
>
>So - i think the guy just has a real planned out life (read any liner
>notes
>of the late 70s early 80s)
>
>what are ya gonna do?? he's a genius. just a cranky one, that's all.
>
>peace, andre'

Paul Poplawski, Ph.D.
email = ppoplawski@state.de.us  or  paulpop@ssnet.com
phone service = 302/737-4491