Re:New Year listening

Still haven't got that top 10 list together, but this post was a
button-pusher . . .

I'm spinning the following alot so far in '98:

John Zorn "New Traditions in East Asian Bar Bands" (Tzadik, 1997)--don't
know much about these compositions which were all apparently recorded in
the
late '80's early '90s, but they are fascinating--CD has beautiful artwork
liner notes with translations that look like they were shrunk from LP
jacket
size to CD liner size as the text is MINISCULE and unreadable without
contrast enhancement and a jeweller's loupe

--stories with female narration accompanied by:
first one, "Hue Die" features Bill Frisell and Fred Frith on guitars
second, "Hwang VChin-EE" has Joey Barron and Samm Bennett on drums
third, "Que Tran" has Anthony Coleman and Wayne Horvitz on keyboards

need I say MORE . . .

Golden Palaminos  "Dead Inside" (Restless, 1996)-- not for the faint of
heart or Pollyannish, the black text of Nicole Blackman with very nice
ambience provided by the Anton Fier stable (Skopelitis, Laswell and Knox
Chandler)

it's really scary to know that there is another human on the planet who
thinks these things, much less will commit them to media. Contraindicated
if
you are in even a hint of a foul mood, before working with power tools or
after 10:30 PM

and old faves rediscovered:

Latin Playboys   (Slash 1994)
put a couple of Los Lobos in an old warehouse studio with Tchad Blake and
Mitchell Froom and a multi-track cassette and you have lo-fi inspiration
for
home studio people everywhere--very gritty disc

Hukwe Zawose "Chibite" (Realworld 1996)--Hukwe and his son Charles--a
Tanzanian cooker with thumb pianos, traditional (read "primitive" . .
.HAH!)
flutes, violins and incredible vocals including the first African
"throat-singing" I've ever heard--phenomenal disc

Gallon Drunk "Tonight . . .the Singles Bar" (Ryko)
collection of their scarce singles--a rollickng Phil Spector-meets-Jesus
and
Mary Chain with maracas and organ
got my copy out of the Best Buy cutout closeout for $0.49 . . .pearls
before
swine

John Cale "Seducing Down The Door" (Rhino 1994)--two disc box with all the
goodies from the ethereal Paris 1919 period to the fencing mask-wearing
menace period (my fave--"Pablo Picasso", "Fear (is a man's best friend)"
"Leaving It Up to You")

Eno/Jah Wobble "Spinner" (Gyroscope 1995)--another mystery (soundtrack for
"Glitterbug"--anybody enlighten me on this?)
I haven't liked alot  of Eno's recent output, but this has some nice stuff

enuf' droning on already
Tom

drone on~~~~~Tom

Tom Lambrecht  hideo@concentric.net