Arcane Device

>MIvanBerk@aol.com wrote:
>> By the way, if our David Myers is the one who's recorded lots of
>> "multiprocessor feedback" as Arcane Device, he produces some
>interesting and
>> unsettling loop music of his own and has every right to comment without
>> possibility of damnation.
>>
>> -mike
>Mike - Hear! Hear! If this is the one and the same David Myers, it would
>be cool to hear more about his interesting approaches to creating loop
>music. David, if you're out there and it's really you, I'm a big fan and
>really love your very original soundscapes...

Okay, you guys (and a few others) have "outed" me.  About 1988 I did a 5 or
6 year project called Arcane Device-I think 7 CD's, buncha tapes, an LP and
one double 7-inch record, maybe 30 performances in NYC, Boston, Pittsburgh,
Cleveland, Hamburg, Copenhagen.

It may be of technical interest to some folks here.  For this material I
never used any sound "sources" for the loops-that is, it was "feedback
music", the looping delays generating their own sounds by being fed into
themselves.  I got four 7.6 sec Digitech Time Machines and fed them into a
custom mixer--basically, four channels with four effects sends on each.
This formed a kind of routing matrix in which any delay could feed any
delay, including itself.  I "played" the delays and mixer as an
instrument--very active use of the "sends".  Usually, very short delays got
the feedback cranking, then this sound would be handed off to a longer
delay for looping, etc.  Very hard to predict what might happen sometimes-I
always thought of performances as something akin to a chess game or boxing
match, where I was going one-on-one with whatever sounds came at me.  Alot
of risk involved, particularly when it was in public!

My favorite CD was a little different.  "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (may
still be available on Staalplaat Records) was done with a Lexicon LXP-5, an
MRC, and one pot.  Same thing, the LXP-5 fed itself, but the MRC was used
extensively to crank the parameters.  Given the setup, the variety of
sounds and structures is pretty amazing, even if I do say so myself.
(Admittedly, a pretty bombastic title, but besides being a longtime fan of
the book, I guess I thought "stickin in to" the classical establishment
wouldn't hurt, either.)

The last solo CD I did (had two collaborative releases with German composer
Asmus Tietchens) technically puzzles even me.  On "Envoi in Cumin" I again
used the 4X Time Machine setup.  Each delay was set for approx. 1 second.
But the routing was so strange (wish I could recount it exactly) that what
came out was a kind of "see-saw" base sound--yeah, a loop--which varied in
period somehow.  I called it a "soft loop", and it subtly changed in sound
as the loop time  wandered between 7 and 15 seconds!  In part, this was due
to these delays having LFO modulation available, which in this case I
applied sparingly--a good selling point (along with all those other knobs)
for the Digitechs.

Hope all this may be of interest or inspiration to you loopmaniacs....

David Myers

"Eternity is not limited by the conditions of time, and time is eternal in
virtue of its cyclic recurrence."
-Hermetica, Asclepius III