Sound of Voices (R: Mir conversations)

>> >well on occasion when i have play live,(and record) i will bring along
>> scanning reciever, and i will scan the airwaves for communication (ie
>> airport traffic, mall security, cops etc,,,) i will come out an RCA on
the
>> VHF reciever, to my jamman,,and then to my mixer(with effects loops
delays,
>> backwards,,,you name it) in most cases the sample of conversation (ie
[snip]

This is an interestig approach. I use to do similar things with western
Europe AM radio stations, where the buzzy and whistling programs give a
sort
of background and direction to looping. And the fact that I cannot
understand a single word is one of the most exciting things, since it's no
longer the contents that's important, but the container (i.e., the sound).
This is however an approach I have ever had in listening music: not being a
native English speaker, I cannot fully understand the text of the songs I
listen to (unless I have the lyrics). Even though, or, better, due to this
fact, I really love listening to the *sound* of the voices I hear (I think
to David Sylvian or the the latest Bjork, for example), a sound that might
have gone lost if I'd fully understand the text (for being concentrated on
it). Any comment on this ill-earing?

Ciao!
Stefano Voulaz (The Looping uncle)