Re: Loop Definition?

> I was wondering if anyone had a good definition of 'looping' for the
>civilians out there. I'm talking about a concise explanation for people
>who
>do not know what 'sampling' or 'multitrack recording' is. It is difficult
>enough explaining to musicians who do not understand where all the sound
>is
>coming from, much less someone who knows nothing of music technology as a
>whole.

I always liked the definition that Torn used in his video tapes:
"real-time interactive multitrack recording sessions with myself".  I
don't think of sample triggering as Looping, or repeating drum-machine
phrases/samples as Looping--they may be "looping", but without the
interactive aspect, it's something different to me.

Travis Hartnett