Re: real time groove loops

>Kim wrote:
>>I like
>having the actual audio looping, since there's more opportunity to muck
>with
>it and record the result, without needing numerous effects processors for
>every single sound source. This way I can record a loop with some effect
>box, then have the effect box free to patch into another signal and use a
>different effect.<
>
>This sounds interesting - this is similar to what I'm trying to do!
>
>But what do you mean by having the <snip>actual audio
>looping<snip>?
>Do you trigger prerecorded loops (i.e. recorded with effects)
>or are you switching patches on the fly?

What I mean is, it starts as a midi sequencer pattern, triggering samples.
I would then loop the actual audio from the sampler in the echoplex (or
jamman or whatever), with any effects, eq, live playing or whatever added.
Now that it's looping, I can use the sequencer, sampler, effects, eq, etc
for other things. They don't have to stay dedicated to the first loop. Then
using a mixer, I can switch between the first loop from the echoplex and
any new loops from the other stuff on the fly. With the multiple loops on
the echoplex, I can create a bunch of them this way and switch between
different ones for different parts of the piece. It's a nice way to do
things very quickly while reducing the amount of gear you need.

>BTW, Tom Roady is an experienced percussion sample looper - maybe
>he has some ideas? (Hi Tom)

I'd love to hear 'em!

kim