Re: DOD 8 second delay

At 9:39 AM 2/9/98, Rich Lamphear wrote:
>Has anyone been able to check out the new DOD 8-second delay pedal ($100)?
>Looks pretty cool from the description, apparently does looping.
>
>Also, there's been a few mentions of the Lexicon LXP-5 on the list.  What
>features does this unit offer to someone interested in looping/sound
>mangulation/guitar mayhem?
>
>thanks,
>Rich

I've had an LXP-5 for about 7 years now, and I use it all the time.

In combination with an external controller, like Lexicon's MRC or the
Peavey PC-1600, the LXP is a serious audio mangling tool. It only loops for
a little over a second, but you can modify the loop length, great for
stuttering effects. It also has a very good sounding pitch changer, with a
wide range, 2 octaves down to 1 octave above original pitch. Nice dense
reverbs. There's also a stereo delay section, independant of the mono
delay/looping section. And it's a great sounding little box, even though it
only samples at 32k, the sound quality is very nice and warm.

The major drawback of the LXP is that, without the MRC or PC-1600, it has a
lousy user interface. I defy any sane person to try to program it from the
front panel, it can be done, but is near impossible. If you get one, plan
on budgeting extra for a controller, or look for one sold with an MRC. With
the MRC, operating the LXP is a breeze. The PC-1600 has to be programmed to
work with the LXP, but once you've set it up, it's very easy to use.

Another downside is that you can't program the order of effects, there's 2
different chains available, the first is Mono delay/loop-> stereo delay->
pitch shifter-> reverb, the second chain bypasses the pitch shifter and
puts more DSP power to the delay and reverb.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra