Re: broad masses of drummers and Loops

Andy Wolpert wrote:
>Any ideas on ways to get extremely precise loop lengths in conjunction
with a tap in the length situaltion? Like generationg MIDI from drum
triggers?<

Yes, one could use a drum trigger to tap in the start & stop of a loop.
That's something that I would also like to do once I get a MIDI
controller (more gear ... sigh). Sometimes it just seems more practical
to hit something with a stick rather than fumbling with your foot for the
right
button. One thing that I'd be worried about though is whether the actual
trigger "source" (i.e. sound) is also to be included in the loop.
Percussion
sounds at the boundary can be obnoxious due to the cut-off sound
transient (popping, etc.).

What I'm currently doing is playing with a MIDI sync (drum machine) for my
rhythmically "precise" (this is, uh, relative) loops. I must admit that I
needed
a lot of convincing from my bandmate (he's a remix guy)! But after a while,
started to get into the idea of playing with a beatbox - I now see it as a
second drummer or percussionist. The machine that we're currently using
is a JoMoX - an analog drum machine with a very non-realistic drum sound.
This seems to make it cool to me - it no longer tries to emulate "real"
(more
relativity) drums - it has its own identity. This is the same sort of
aesthetic
that I also like in ambient techno, some d'n'b etc. but this is drifting

Talk to ya later, everyone tell me some of your ideas!
Rob