Re: Call for Electro-acoustic music...

>I'm not trying to start a firefight again folks, really!  But I'm curious
>as
>to the proper definition of 'electro-acoustic'....
>Is it acoustic instruments/music electrically enhanced or recorded?
>Is it a blend of electronic and acoustic instruments/music?
>Is it electronically-recorded sound combined with a super-acoustic or
>ambient aesthetic in mind with respect to the overall 'sound'?

We have a strong electro-acoustic music group within this university, and
students on the Electronics with Music degree (which I'm involved in the
organising of) get an opportunity to have a go on their own in their final
year.  My experience is that it's very musique-concrete-esque, largely
sampled sounds prerecorded in 8-track.  This is played to the audience (the
correct phrase is "diffused") by the player sitting at the centre of an
8-way high-quality sound system , and the audience.  By manipulating levels
(one finger per fader on a soundcraft desk) to the speakers, the diffuser
is able to throw the sound around the room.  If done well, this can be VERY
impressive (A whoosh as the steam engine passes THROUGH your head!  Ahhh!
Aural rollercoaster!!).  Mostly though, it's a lot of silly noises coming
from a lot of expensive PA.

Michael