Re: Beyond Mono and Stereo

At 12:57 PM -0500 2/27/98, Mark Kata wrote:
>I've looped in mono with a single amplifier, in stereo with two
>amplifiers.
>I've also used three amplifiers, two for stereo effects and one without
>any
>effects.
>
>Are there other interesting combinations?
>
>Thanks,
>Mark Kata
>Mark@asisoftware.com

I would say the next frontiers in that direction are using six channel
surround sound systems in a musical way, and using the new 3d sound
technologies which emulate a 3d audio environment with two speakers. The
six channel stuff is becoming quite common and will be a part of DVD audio
tracks and digital TV type broadcasting. The 3d sound effects are also
becoming common and finding most of their current applications in computer
games. (The helicopter flies RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD!!!!....ooooo...)

I think both have a lot of musical possibility, and both are becoming
mainstream enough to make distribution of music made for it reasonably easy
in the near future.

kim