Re: any torn concert reviews?

Hi all,

> Since no one else has I will belly on up...

I also attended the Sunday night show.  I tried to look for Andre LaFosse
but couldn't find anyone matching his description.  I had a feeling other
LDers were at the show but I guess we all forgot to wear our Loopers
Delight
(tm) badges or something... :)

> Highlights include:
> He came down the stairs to the stage with an odd shaped oud
> (flat,hollow,electric) and played for a couple minutes with this and

It kind of looked like an overgrown racquetball racket. :)

But the tone was wonderful.  The improvisation on this electric oud was
one of my favorite parts of the show.

After the show, I couldn't help but mess around with one of the (acoustic)
ouds hanging on the wall.   The traditional oud design is an interesting
take
on fretless instrument design; instead of having a longer neck like a
guitar
where notes on the higher regions of the neck would have extremely short
sustain, the neck is kept short so that the only notes available are the
ones that can have some decent sustain (that is, the area of the
fingerboard
within 6-8 inches of the oud's "nut").   It's as if you took a fretless
acoustic guitar and expanded the body so that it swallows up half the neck
so that the non-sustaining notes higher up on the neck are gone and you are
left with the ones with decent sustain.

Well I may be way off in my theory, but what the heck... :)

> I knew I was in for fun when I heard Miroslav Tadic speaking Serbo-Croat
> in the shop to someone... He came out and played with Torn for an
> improvised section. It was amazing to see this guy in the flesh. Not to
> say this is a limber guy, but as my girlfriend pointed out he was the
> only guy she has ever seen cross his legs and have BOTH feet touch the
> floor.  This guy's right hand technique needs to be studied like the
> Zapruder film. His thumb alone is a limb in and of itself playing
> upstokes independently on the low strings.  During this duet Torn added
> in a cassette recording of a muezzin, and did some shaker mic
> feedback...

So far I have heard _The Snake Music_ by Tadic and Mark Nauseef and
_Let's Be Generous_, an album by a quartet of Tadic, Nauseef, Joachim Kuhn,
and the bass player for Tony Williams Lifetime (Allan Holdsworth era).  The
music on the latter is somewhere between TWL and maybe Eric Dolphy, Pharaoh
Sanders, etc. free jazz.

I'm sure Andre can elaborate on Tadic's very eclectic background.  He may
still be teaching at Cal Arts.

Agreed with the other posters about the positive comments about the show.
I don't get to hear much live looping, so it was a great demonstration and
a great musical performance all at once.

Cheers,

Paolo Valladolid