Re: slagging (was Re: Stick stuff)

At 12:22 PM 3/4/98 -0800, Sean Echevarria wrote:
>Forget about Jordan - you just slagged Hellborg and Lane!  yeeesh...

sinking further into the off-topic slag-o-rama.....

It's not to say they are bad musicians, just that I found them really
boring
at that show. It was one of those "look how fast I can play!" sort of
performances at one of the concerts they have after the NAMM shows, and
didn't have a lot of music to go along with the athletics. And as is
typical
of such shows, the audience was filled with young players who ate it up,
staring rapturously at the wiggling fingers, and generally encouraging them
to make it worse. I guess I was one of those finger analyzers once, but
somehow I managed to outgrow the music-as-track-and-field-event stage at
some point. Now it sort of puts me to sleep.

I saw Johann Hellborg with John McLaughlin and Trilok Gurtu about 10 years
ago, and thought Hellborg was wonderful then. (of course, I actually liked
fusion in those days, so I don't know how far to trust my own
judgement...:-) )  Maybe he just needs the right sort of inspiration around
him to really shine.

Lane, on the other hand, for all the hype he gets, really didn't seem to
have very many interesting ideas in his improvisations. It was all sort of
monotonous and sterile and very, very, very fast, with little or no
personality or stage presence. Maybe he is better in other settings, but
there he was the sort of player who exerts powerful anti-spouse forces on
the audience, causing serious relationship conflicts among all couples
present.  Now, if he had been wearing a chicken bucket on his head and
using
an assortment of novelty items to pick with, and maybe mixing it up with
some bad break dancing, I think I would have enjoyed it a little more. My
girlfriend certainly would have stuck around for more than 3 seconds.....

kim
Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com