RE: ears (and links)

Trevor wrote:
>I would like to thank you guys for putting the effort into this thread-
>I think this my be one of the most interesting discussions we've had.  I
>am pleased that I've had the chance to soak a lot of this up.

No kidding.  Really exceptional contributions.  Welcome to Loopers U,
online!

Also, thanks John S. for the "Music and Your Mind", and "Science and
Music"
book recommendations.  (Sir James Jeans was a man of many talents.  A Carl
Sagan of the 1920's, he also wrote what was perhaps the most popular
astronomy
book of his day, "The Universe Around Us.")

Until I get a chance to go to the library, I've put in a little time
cruisin
the net for more info on psychoacoustics, etc.  Here's just a smattering
of
URLs; most likely nuthin new for the list's much appreciated technowizards
(you
guys probably had these bookmarked before you learned to walk, right? %^).
 But
for us the rest of us mortals, there may be something useful.

What I have not yet located are substantive references to how non-harmonic
distortion components affect physiological response and perception --
including
gender differences.  If anyone comes across that sort of information, even
peripheral, I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know.  If I find
anything
meaningful, I'll post it back to the list. Thanks!

ciao,
laurie

Experimental Psychology Prof Chris Darwin's home page.
http://www.biols.susx.ac.uk/Home/Chris_Darwin/
Go down to "Teaching", and click on "Lecture Notes".  This is from a 2nd
year
course in hearing and perception. Very comprehensive.

Rudimentary, beginning college level 101 technical essays on sound and
electronic music, from U of California at Santa Cruz.  Take note, all you
proud
moms and pops raising enlightened little loopers and loopettes.  They'll
be
ready for this all too soon...
http://arts.ucsc.edu/EMS/Music/tech_background/tech_background.html

Chris Plack's ear page.  He's a psychoacoustician, doing some interesting
research.
http://epunix.biols.susx.ac.uk/Home/Chris_Plack/welcome.html

Kim mentioned CNMAT at UC Berkeley.  Don't miss this one.
http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/Research/
and Director David Wessel:
http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/News/
He's researching a tongue-triggered midi controller, among other things...

Journal of the Audio Engineering Society.  Their articles are indexed, but
full
text is not available online.
http://www.aes.org/journal/

Auditory home page.  Adjunct to Auditory list, discussion group for
organizational aspects of auditory perception.  Archives, links, etc.
http://sound.media.mit.edu/~dpwe/AUDITORY

Design philosophy and background info from Audio Note amplifiers.  In "The
Negative Effects of Feedback", section "The Problem", can be found a
condensed
description of (among other things) harmonic, non-harmonic, and time base
distortion.  Lengthy discussion on amplifiers.
http://www.audionote.co.uk/anp2.html