stretching

What are the best devices (or better even, PC software) to time-stretch
samples?

I find that I'm more and more interested in researching into / playing
with
the patterns and structures inherent in natural sounds ... the easiest
example would be birdsong, slowed down (without changing the pitch) so
that
our slow mammal brain can really listen to all those tiny melodic and
dynamic details ... really looking very closely at sounds is similar to
looking at very small things in a microscope. Remember when you had a
microscope as a kid?

michael peters                   mpeters@csi.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Mpeters/