ProjeKct 2 @ House Of Blues, LA

Hi Folks!

I just got home a little while ago and thought I'd pontificate while the
memory was still fresh. :)

The fact, for a start, that this was also true of the HOB show tonight is
indicative that perhaps it's not ALL improvisation.  God forbid, could
there
be a structure to it?

The sound of course is difficult to guage to the side of the stage, but
from
the left bar I had a great view of RF, who was quite well-lit, and mixed in
well.  The bass notes, though, were strictly pants-and-bar-rattling, and
were toned enough not to be a rolling rumble.  Trey Gunn's playing appeared
to be expending the most energy visually, second place going to Adrian
Belew's quite capable drumming, third, of course, goes to the Smooth
Unflappable One playing guitar.

On the basis of what people had already complained about, I decided to
enter
this as a blank page, much as I had the HOB shows that RF put on a few
years
ago for the 1999 release.  I'd not even heard "The First Day", nor "1999",
so I had absolutely no idea going in, and was delighted.  To each his own,
suppose some of you are saying.  I was told flat out by one fellow there
that he "hoped there weren't any Soundscapes, 'cause he didn't come to hear
THAT".  This of course, while Soundscapes - not Live, I'm fairly sure! -
were playing over the PA.

>The consensus of the recent postings regarding this show seems to have
>been that there was one really magical moment during the evening, and the
>other parts were of less interest.

I disagree on most levels of the above statement as far as tonights show
was
concerned; the only parts that could border on possible tedium were broken
up by another player's work.  I had the impression at times that a game of
musical catch was occurring, but not in the serial sense.  I'm sure this
makes a great deal of sense to everyone, perhaps as much as tonight's
performance was to some.

Undoubtedly the "usual" HOB-Crimson-Fripp crown was there...  In the
beginning you could see the ones who were perhaps looking too hard for the
thing to satisfy them, their faces a cross between being spaced-looking,
and
flat-out confusion.  The people sporting these faces, alas, were not
visible
during the second part of the show.

I came away thinking of it all as "Juju Space Jazz" Meets Adrian and Trey,
somehow.  It was evident that all three of them had a good time.  RF did a
kind of shading his eyes and looking out over the crowd through the lights,
which, when he did it a second time, brought some level of a surge of
cheers
from the crowd.  So (apparently) he did it again, eliciting a larger cheer.

A parallel I can draw is to Eno/Byrne's "My Life In The Bush With Ghosts",
which took some number of listenings before I could appreciate it fully.
When I got there, I loved the album (and I've got one of the ones with
"Kuran" on it!), and it hasn't disappointed me yet.

I can say I hope they don't do nothing BUT this stuff.  I had the distinct
impression that, in these two sets of 3 people touring in different parts
of
the world, several things are happening beyond the obvious....

1.  We're seeing more individual efforts in focus, as opposed to in
conjunction with 5 others.
2.  There is probably a good amount of writing going on between these
shows.
It would be interesting to see how much variation may or may not exist
between an array of shows.  Anyone?  Larry?
3.  None of us know what the hell is really going on anyway, so perhaps we
should just sit back and wait to assess the entire body of work when
they're
finished, and enjoy the effort-in-progress.

[putting on flame-repellent armor]

Stephen Goodman  * It's... The Loop Of The Week!
EarthLight Studios    * http://www.earthlight.net/Studios