Re: Crisis!!!!!!

Woehni laments...
TW: Hi friends , I`ve got a major crisis on my hands. I`m gonna come right
out
and say it: I`ve begun to get doubts about looping.................and I
need
some reassuring.

MB: Hey Thomas... don't sell that looper yet! Your coming out of the
honeymoon
period! You'll get a second wind in a while. Be patient. Absolutely do not
sell
your looper.

The thing is , when I loop it doesn`t seem to go anywhere. I always get
stuck in
the same tracks and the music sounds  like.........looping. Sometimes my
Jamman
can feel like a limitation , rather than a new colour on my (somewhat
limited)
canvas.

MB: Use the delay mode and make sure you lower the regen enough to force
some
change into your process. Use more ambiguous and ambient material to
create the
loop. Fade it and overdub... fade again and repeat. And last but not
least. It's
only there to help you when you need it. Just freakin' bypass the sucker
and
blast!

TW: At this point I feel like taking a break from the whole looping world
and
just plug straight in. There is nothing wrong with this , of course , a
clean
sound is often the bast way to go. This is proven over and over again by
players
who doesnt care about effects. So this doesnt worry me; I dont see it as a
problem to want to plug straight in the amp.

MB: First of all... Don't call yourself a looper! It really frees you up
behave in other obsessive compulsive ways. 8-> (Blasphemy, I know, but...)
You
may want to still keep that looper in line and just not notice it quite as
much.
Don't let it run the show. You can always reach over and turn the input or
ouput
down. Run that sucker in parallel. It's much more versatile and
controllable.

A looper can also be a very serviceable short delay with good real time
tap
tempo. Use it as such for awhile. I used to use my JamMan for 1/8 triplet
delays
in live bands all the time. The possibility is there to then re-tap and
massively stretch your time waaayyyy out for radical solo potential or
actual
looped segments. Re-tap to shorter times to return to more "normal"
activity.

TW: BUT:  It worries me that what started out like a dream with endless
posibilities ended SO QUICKLY.  I had a ball with it ,  played in
different
musical situations and HAD FUN. And now it suddenly feels so alien. Like a
third
arm or something. Have any of you gone through something similar??  If so
, how
did u get through it??

MB: Oh yeah... It comes around periodically. Just pick up an acoustic
instrument
or use a different DSP or take a hike. The concepts are all still valid.

TW: I must add that I`m not the type of person that jump on everything and
get
bored with it after a short while. I`m usually quite patient and
persistent.

I`ve had a very busy schedule for the last couple of months and worked very
hard. Now I`m starting to feel tired and I`m looking forward to the Easter
Holiday.  Maybe this is the answer? Maybe It`s just  fatigue  and my
looping
energy will return after the holiday???

I hope so.
Yours , Thomas w

MB: I've been in acoustic unplugged mode for most of the 3 years of my
boy's
life, cause it's so easy (and gratifying). I'm a lifestyle electric player
though, so it always comes around again.

At this point I have to set up my fairly large pile o' gear each time I
play
cause I still don't have a real room for it. I do this once a week right
now,
and that's not nearly enough. It would be easy to learn to hate my gear
for
this. But it sounds so good (mostly) and I know I'll get more time later
etc...
It's all perspective and you'll get yours back.

All the best Thom...
-Miko