Re: Price sharing etiquette

OK...here' my 2 cents:

It appears to me that sharing price information (or any non-proprietary
information, for that matter) can only benefit us all.  The only ones who
don't benefit are the retailers who are overcharging for their products,
and I have no problem if they lose business.  It has always bothered me the
way the music equipment industry (at least the Guitar Center type
businesses) do not give their best price initially.  They start with list
price and force you to negotiate your way down.  Many times they will only
give you the "best price" if you quote prices from other retailers.  This
business approach  probably works for a lot of unsuspecting consumers, who
don't know any better and think that any price below list price is a good
one. We, as consumers, must demand more from retailers!  In this spirit, I
try to avoid Guitar Center (etc.) and give my business to establishments
like Sweetwater Sound (etc.) that don't bullshit you.  Exchanging price
information on a list like this is a great way to keep these places in
check.

- chris