Hello and Help

Hello, All!

I'm a new subscriber though a long-term looper.  I live in Lafayette,
Indiana and am
primarily a percussionist (strictly acoustic instruments) although I play
a few
non-percussion instruments as well.

I recently acquired a second Oberheim 'Plex with several goals in mind:

  1) stereo looping
  2) simultaneous unsynchronized loops
  3) synchronized loops

I'm having problems with number three.  I've read through the information
on
Looper's Delight regarding synchronizing.  I have the two loopers
connected with a
midi cable, one is set to SYNC out, 1/8s per beat to 1; the other is set
to SYNC in,
1/8s per beat to 8 (though I've tried all the values).  The two loopers
mostly
synchronize how I imagine they would, i.e., they mostly do what I want.
However,
sometimes they don't.  For example, after building up a pattern in the
master looper
(via, record, overdub, multiply, nextloop-multiply, etc.) I want to record
my first
pattern into the slave.  I want an integral number of the slave loops to
fit into
the master loop.  Diagramatically,

master loop: begin |---------------------------------------| end

slave loop:  begin |---------| end

so that, as they play together:

and we all make beautiful music together... :)

If I perform only simple operations on the master, this seems to work.
When I build
up a loop in a more complicated fashion, I can't get the units to
synchronize.
HELP!  I can't find enough details to figure out what is going on.

- Dennis Leas