time stretching

A non-loop-content question, but not about guitars either. Reply using
private
email if you want.

Has anyone used software to time-stretch samples? I'd like to be able to
stretch very fast and complex natural sounds (birdsongs, etc), but the
resulting samples should not lose their sound quality. I've heard good
quality
time-stretched samples - so I know it can be done - but I don't know how.
I was
not happy at all with the programs I've tried so far. The resulting
samples
(same pitch, but double duration) sounded like shit. They were all
modulated as
if treated with a low-pitch ringmodulator. Speeding the samples up to 1/2
duration sounded even worse.

Ideas anyone?

michael peters                   mpeters@csi.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Mpeters/