Re: Roland SP808?

<< Has anyone tried the new Roland "groove sampler"?

 I'm curious as to how it compares to the Akai MPC2000.   For some reason
 the SP-808 seems to lack a built-in MIDI sequencer (which the Akai has).

I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but it definitely looks interesting.

I think the reason it is lacking a MIDI sequencer is it assumes you are
going
to create tracks on the onboard recorder, rather than using it as a
workstation to control other gear, whereas the MPC is a drum machine and
MIDI
controller with a sampler built into it.

Not to say the MPC is not a great sampler - I love it, and I'd certianly
rather have it than a Roland product. It just seems that Akai tends to
term it
a "sampling drum machine" rather than a "sampler AND drum machine".

Although the D-Beam control does look like fun.....

- Bill
Crossedout@aol.com
- The Roller zine -
http://members.aol.com/crossedout/