Re: looping software?

Hello, All!

I found an interesting shareware program called "SoundRaider"
(www.andyw.com/raider).  It
doesn't do what you're looking for, but it's hugely fun.  When launched,
SoundRaider scans
your drive for WAV files (you can restrict its search to a particular
directory and
subdirectories).  Then, on a periodic basis, it randomly selects a file,
randomly selects
a portion of the file (I think), randomly applies changes (half-speed,
double speed, etc),
and loops a portion of the file.  It does this process on five independent
channels.  From
the SoundRaider homepage:

"SoundRaider is a music creation tool that works by scanning your hard
drive for WAV
format sounds and uses them to create industrial-ambient sound.Leave
SoundRaider running
on the desktop and listen to your hard drive muttering to itself."

Now what I find especially cool, is how the content of the WAV files
effect the operation.
 For example, use a bunch of drum patterns and you get one effect, use
files of spoken
word and you get a totally different effect.  I have a bunch of didjeridu,
Tibetan singing
bowl, and Waterphone wave files and I get a cool etheral thing happening
(most of the
time).

I plan on using this in live performance but I haven't exactly decided
how, yet.

Is it art?  Is it Art?  Who cares?

- Dennis Leas