Re: never enough (warning: contains guitar banter)

Yes, I could send this offline, but I feel that since we all live
on the same earth, the issue of wasted trees affects us all.
The trees deserve all the help and publicity they can get...

John + Diane,

I echo your plea for the trees.  I decided last year that I might
change my career from engineering to guitar building.  Learning the
trade has been a rewarding, but sometimes a dissonant experience,
because my only love greater than my love for music, is my love for
nature and life.  I feel physical pain whenever I see a load of trees
being hauled off from my favorite forests.  Yet I contribute to their
use.

Fortunately there are others who feel like us, and have found
alternatives to the mass destruction of endangered trees.

Dave Maize is a very friendly builder who not only builds from
non endangered and reclaimed woods, but sells his wood alternatives
to other builders. Believe it or not, there are excellent substitutes
for Ebony and Rosewood.
  http://www.ashland.net/maize/

Other Eco-Friendly Builders
  http://www.essentialstrings.com/lawrence.htm
  http://www.zonguitars.com/zon.faqs.html

Roundtable Discussion of Environmental Guitar Building
  http://www.mtobiasd.com/mtd/roundtbl.html "Out of the Woods"

SmartWood - Practical Conservation Through Certified Forestry

http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/rfa_live_cgi/swm.cgi?caller=hp_f2%2Ecgi

Possibly, the key to having our trees and loving them too, is to at
least learn to give up the use of endangered woods, and use non
endangered
alternatives (maple, cedar, redwood, katalox, granadillo, walnut,
Plastic,
etc.), reclaimed woods, or woods from sources certified by SmartWood.

Cheers,
Randy

--

      ======      = Randy Reichenbach          randy@cdac.com =
   ||   ||   ||   = Physical Design Engineer (VLSI-CAD)       =
   ||  //\\  ||   = Duet Technologies                         =
    \\//__\\//    = 3650 131st Ave SE, Suite 650              =
     `------'     = Bellevue, Washington  98006               =
                  = Tel: 425.643.0200  Fax: 425.649.7600      =