average loop music CD price ... recalculated

> And how much did studio time cost you? How many discs are you going to
>press?

300 CDs (just got them fresh from the factory). That's the lowest possible
number for 'real' CDs (not CDROMs) you can have made here in Germany. I
also
assume that the production price situation might be somewhat different
from the
one in the US.

For the CD/printing production, I paid about 990 American $ (assuming that
the
Dollar is 1.80 German DMs at the moment).
I've done the graphics myself, but paid $152 for the films.
Studio costs (this is a widely varying item of course) were $1640
altogether
(yes, an awful lot, largely due to my lack of experience, and the fact
that
these recordings weren't originally meant to be published on CD, and a lot
of
postprocessing had to be done).

Unless I forgot something, this looks like I spent about $2782 for 300
CDs, =
$9,30 per CD. <sigh>

I also need distributors, at least outside of Germany, and especially in
the
US. Do you think distributors are willing to get only $5,70 per CD so that
it
can be sold for $15? Otherwise I'll either lose money ... unless I sell it
for
more than $15.

I know I won't become rich with my music, but I'd love to at least get
even,
maybe make some more additional bucks ...

(p.s. I was the one who started this thread, asking for reasonable prices.)

*       michael peters          mpeters@csi.com
*       "escape veloopity"      electronic guitar loop music
*       http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Mpeters