RE: CD prices and my whole point

God, I didn't know what kind of nickel I was dropping in the jukebox....

My entire point with all this is based in the fact that I am coming from (I
would assume from the other posts to this list) a somewhat different
background, a more extreme-music and punk-rock background.

I started to wonder, when I started getting into punk, why the metal bands
listened to sold their lps or discs for $10-$15, t-shirts for $15-$20,
while I
could go to a punk show and pick up lps' and shirts for $6, 7"'s for $3 and
cd's for $7-$8.

Far from making me think "boy, they really don't value their work", it
made me
think "wow, I can pick up this lp I was looking for, as well as these that
look interesting from bands I've never heard". It also impressed me that
these
people could make a decent product, sell it to me for a decent price, and
not
gouge me for an extra $7 just because I might be used to paying $15 for a
cd.
I think the Fugazi argument is the perfect example - here's a man (Ian
MacKaye) making good music, supporting a scene he has roots in, helping
other
bands and labels get their start, and charging $8 or $9 for a disc,
postpaid.
And he makes enough to spit in the eye of major labels that come offering
him
blank checks for the privelage of releasing (and profiting off of) Fugazi
records.

I stand by my arguments - I think that M. Peters has a valid reason for
selling his stuff at a premium, as he has almost $10 US invested in each
disc.
For him, I'd suggest investigating other sources, if at all possible, for
obtaining your discs. But for someone like me, who has acess to ADAT's,
DATs
and a disc burner.... I'd feel bad about charging more than a few dollars
for
someone to hear my music. If I can release something so people can hear it,
and make enough to cover my costs, then I'll be happy.

If you want to make money off of the fruits of your labor and the
investment
you've made into your art, then you have trancended the realm of art for
arts'
sake and are involved in commerce. It's that simple. If you make stuff and
sell it, or accept money for performance, you are involved in commercial
transactions.... AND THAT'S FINE!! I THINK THAT'S A WONDERFUL SITUATUION,
and
god bless anyone that can pull it off. But don't give me an argument that
says
"my art is worth more than your art"... what you're really saying is "my
product is worth more than your product".

Art is in the doing and the enjoyment, either by and for yourself or anyone
else who hears you. Making a living off of it is commerce.

- Bill *somehow, I don't think this is the end of it*
Crossedout@aol.com