Re: Live fish.

What happened to our good natured little chat here?

>mark sottilaro wrote:
>
>> Good night folks, you can get the rest at your local library... (and I
>>suggest
>> you do.)
>
>Which caused Lance to write:
>
>>Thanks, but with your astute and enlightening analysis, I think the
>library
>won't be
>>necessary.
>
>>-Lance G.
>
>>P. S. I won't be responding to this thread publicly, as I agree it
>>departs rather
>>pointedly from the objectives of the list, but I assure Mark his
>statements
>will be
>>answered personally just as soon as I find the stomach for it.
>
>Oh, I'm sorry Lance.  I didn't mean to upset your delicate sensibilities
>and
>give you a tummy ache.  You're so right, we should stop talking about art
>and
>get right back to pontificating over gear.  I guess I was wrong about
>words
>having to have a commonly agreed upon definition.  We don't need that.

Are you truly pontificating the nature of art here, or rather, are you
attacking everybody PERSONALY who doesn't share your view.  I would love to
discuss Art here, but it seems that there are enough idiots on this list
that every time someone express an opinion that strays from the norm by
even the slightest bit, they get flamed.  So what does that leave us with?
A safe discussion about the pros and cons of this tool or that.  It is a
shame, but thankfully, I can satisfy my own need to create Art AND support
my family without the need for the aproval of anyone on this list.  (This
is why I also avoided fully the whole issue of "fair" CD prices and the
idea of "musical commerce"

>So again I'll apologize.  I'm sure your what you do musically is just as
>interesting and emotional as making a really good french fry.  Perhaps
>Millie
>Vanillie is looking for studio musicians for their comeback album.  You
>may
>want to audition for the project.

This hits me where I eat, but rather than getting too bent out of shape,
I'll point you to Thomas Roady's excellent comments. Like Thomas, I have no
problem playing and producing pop tunes by day and playing "avant-guarde"
free jazz by night.  Additionally, I would suggest that most of the people
who make such comments about "soulless studio musicians" have no idea what
is involved in being a good studio musician.  You can't look at guys like
Jim Keltner or Oliver Gene Lake or any number of other great musicians and
say that there is no more interest in their music than a good french fry.
Good studio musicians can make great music (Art) REGARDLESS of the context.
I don't consider this selling out, after all, I get to do what I
love--play music--for a living.  If I had to put a tie on to go to work
pushing pencils every day, for me, that would be selling out.  (I play with
great musicians who have "real" day jobs, and I'm not bagging on them, I
just couldn't do it.)

>Have a nice day.
>
>Mark Sottilaro
>
>P.S.  I'm currently defining "nice" as putting a live fish in your mouth
>and
>trying to kill it with a shotgun.

This is wholely inappropriate.  If you are really this angry at the world,
I would suggest a change of vocation and/or a change of hobbies.  I'm
passionate about art too, but this little "joke" is out of line.  Perhaps a
society gig every now and then might be able to finance some therapy.

-Doug