Echoplex memory answers

Hello everyone. There have been some questions about memory upgrades for
the Echoplex.Ê Pat Murphy has already sent a response out, here are a
few more things you should be aware of.Ê

First let me point out that the number of Echoplexes that have had
memory problems is very low: we had only 5 Echoplexes sent to us for
memory problems in the last three months.Ê (This number does not include
repairs done locally).Ê

Also, since we learned of the problems encountered by Douglas Lawrence
and Marc Roche, Mike Ayers, our technical/customer service expert will
get in touch with them and will follow up with them to get their
problems solved.Ê Marc and Douglas, if you haven't heard from him,
contact him at the address below.

Let me remind you that all Echoplexes go out with 51 seconds, and we do
not normally upgrade the units, because it would become quite expensive
for the customers. Also, it has been our experience that Echoplex users
and loopers in general are more technologically sophisticated than other
musicians, and they have no problem with a DIY upgrade. However, we have
done some memory upgrades of the Echoplex for our endorsees, and you can
always talk to your dealers about custom ordering a fully ugraded
version.

That said, I askedÊ Mike to prepare this piece of advice on memory
upgrades and the type of problems customers call about.Ê If you are
planning to upgrade the memory and want more specific answers, contact
him.Ê He is there to help you.

E-mail: obie@gibson.com

Phone (toll free) (877) OBERHEIM

We do appreciate your feedback, positive AND negative (how can we serve
you better if we don't know what's wrong?).Ê Keep writing to us.

Now, here is what Mike had to say about memory replacements:

Following is a brief set-up on the memory chips for upgrading the memory
of the Echoplex.

The Echoplex comes with 50 seconds of memory, which is provided by 4
chips containing 1 meg of memory each. The memory can be expanded to a
maximum of 198 seconds by replacing the 1 meg chips with 4 meg chips.
The chips which are used are standard 30 pin simms chips, either parity
or non-parity (either will work) and are available at most computer
supply stores. The price usually ranges from 10.00 to 20.00 per chip.
Naturally, the higher the quality of the chip, the better it will
perform in the Echoplex. We do not recommend any particular brand, but
we do recommend that the chips be 120 nanoseconds or better. Also, you
should always replace an even number of chips, that is, either replace
two chips for 99 seconds of memory, or all four chips for 198 seconds of
memory. Never replace an odd number of chips.

When replacing your memory chips, simply remove the memory chips in the
Echoplex by sliding them out, and slide the replacement chips in exactly
the same way as the old chips were. Always make sure that the chips are
firmly in place, as loose memory chips will cause the Echoplex to
malfunction in a variety of ways.

It is our experience that when customers call about malfunctions caused
by the memory upgrades, the problems are very simple to fix. They fall
within two categories:

1) Faulty replacement chips.Ê As pointed out by Bret in his erlier
posting today, this problem is more common than you would expect.Ê If a
chip you installed is causing a problem, return it and get a
replacement. Many times you will find that with a new chip the unit
works perfectly.ÊÊ Remember, we recommend that the chips be of high
quality, and 120 nanoseconds or better. If they are not, then the
response can be affected

2) Installation problems. The most common are:

(a)Ê Loosely installed chips.ÊÊ If the memory chips become loose in the
Echoplex, the memory will not function, and it can cause the unit to
malfunction in other ways.

(b). Chips installed backwards.Ê The chips should always be installed
facing the same way as the original chips.

Finally, there have been some instances where wire or solder have been
knocked loose or detached during installation. Careful replacement of
the memory chips should keep this from happening.

Oberheim
Dino Cattaneo
Product Manager
www.oberheim.com